Job scheduling can be tricky business. All would be fine if you set up your appointments and nothing ever changed. Unfortunately, life gets in the way sometimes, meaning all of your workers’ schedules have to be adjusted.
Job scheduling software can not only relieve the pressure from your job dispatcher, but also can shift all your schedules when something changes. If you’re looking for ways to improve your flow, here are five ways to improve your team members’ workload in order to make sure everyone has a steady workday.
- Do research. Job scheduling software has reporting functionality. If you use its full power, you can determine which of your staff are most productive in certain areas and use that to your business’s advantage. This also can be used to get to the root of personnel problems for those team members who aren’t accomplishing as many tasks. You can also use job scheduling software reports to determine which types of calls are most frequent and which customers call most often for service.
- Set up procedures. Even with job scheduling software in place, your services business needs rules in place to let your employees know, in black and white, what company policies are. Do you require a certain amount of notice if an employee plans to be out? Do you have a limit as to how often an employee can call in sick? These policies must first be in place before you can begin to expect each member of your team to be reliable every day.
- Shoot for steady workload. If one of your team members finishes all of his work well ahead of schedule, while another is still struggling at the end of the day, you may have a personnel problem. But you may instead have a problem with poor schedule flow. Take a look at the workload shouldered by the sluggish team member and ask yourself if maybe that employee has more piled on him than other team members. If not, it may be a case of inexperience, at which point you can make the decision to retrain the employee or find someone to help.
- Automate processes. Not only can this save your employees time and effort, you can set up the software to take care of balancing the workload between employees. If an appointment is canceled, your appointment scheduling software can shift an appointment from an overloaded employee to take the most advantage of the extra time. If someone calls in sick, his or her appointments can be automatically spread across multiple employees.
- Regularly evaluate. No process is perfect. Regularly look back on both your policies and your job scheduling software to make sure you have processes in place that work for your business. By contrasting this with the reports you pull, you’ll be able to make the adjustments necessary to allow your business to be a continued success.
Dispatch flow can be a tricky job, but thankfully technology can automate the process, making it less of a juggling act.